- What was your initial impression of Akira? How, if at all, did your opinion change?
- How would you describe Akira’s relationship with her sister?
- How was Mark’s relationship different with each of his daughters?
- How did Akira’s autism diagnosis affect her family’s attitude and actions toward her, first as a child, then as a young adult?
- What role did Dyon serve for Akira, even though he lived thousands of miles away? Why does she feel so comfortable with him?
- Why did Akira feel like she was a visitor in her own house?
- What were the underlying causes of Annie’s acting-out behavior with her sister?
- When Mark was together with both daughters, did the level of verbal abuse going on between the two girls change? If yes, why?
- How did Akira hope her surgery would impact the family?
- Reflecting upon Mark’s response/lack of response in creating a respectful environment for the family to interact, what would you have done differently?
- Why did Akira endure such verbal abuse? What happened when her core belief was disputed by her dad?
- How did the life coach play a meaningful role in Akira’s life?
- What are the life coach’s core beliefs about raising and teaching children? Tell why you agree/disagree with her thesis.
- What was the driving force that finally convinced Mark to find an apartment for Akira? Why do you think he waited so long before acting?
- By the end of the book, how do the following people change, if at all: Akira, Annie, Mark, life coach?
Back To The Non-Fiction Page
Click Here to Read the First ChapterSee Other Books